A good, thoughtful look at the Amazon/Hachette dispute.
I won’t tell you what to think.
- I will make some points for both sides.
- I will mention ways that this may impact both authors and readers.
- I will show you what you can do, no matter which side you favor.
The main point is that Amazon appears to be pushing for more e-books ordinarily priced above $10 to be priced at $9.99. Hachette (and other publishers) appears to want the freedom to price e-books as they see fit, including those in the $14.99 to $19.99 price range.
A little clarification:
- Amazon openly acknowledged that some books, such as e-textbooks, should be priced $10 and up (see Reference 1 below). Amazon is NOT insisting that ALL e-books should be $9.99 or less.
- Hachette is NOT asking to price ALL e-books $14.99 and up. The issue arose over specific e-books.
Whether YOU read books or write them, YOU are…
View original post 1,920 more words